NOAW: No Agricultural-Waste:
Innovative approaches to turn agricultural waste into ecological and economic assets
NoAW is a European Horizon 2020 research and development project, running from 2016 to 2020, which aims to contribute to a “zero-waste economy” – an increasingly crucial issue in today’s society.
The international NoAW team aims to develop models of circular economy in which the valorisation of agricultural wastes, with special focus on wine biomass, straw and manure, are optimized on a territorial and seasonal scale. Through this approach the resources are kept in use for as long as possible to extract the maximum value from them.
The NoAW project will bring about solutions for policy makers and enterprises to transform todays agro-waste to tomorrow’s additional value:
- Create sustainable agro-waste bio-refinery concepts,
- Use integrative approaches, where special consideration is given to environmental impacts of the product and process even in design phase,
- Provide innovative and robust tools for the development of waste-resource recovery strategies and minimizing the negative impacts on water, air, soil.
NoAW explores the potential of agro-waste to be converted into a portfolio of eco-efficient products which are produced using fewer resources and creating less pollution. The main focus is on bio-energy, bio-fertilizers, bio-packaging and bio-molecules.
NoAW also considers environmental and human safety risks which can emerge from circular management of agro-wastes.
Financed by: The project has received funding from the European Union´s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the grant agreement No 688338
Financed by: Horizon 2020
Project Coordinator: INRA, Prof. Nathalie Gontard
Duration: 10.2016 – 09.2020
- Midterm leaflet:NOAW LEAFLET ENGLISH
- NoAW mid-term results presentations:https://youtu.be/5cpxtI15BmM
- Video about the stakeholder event in China:https://youtu.be/f9gmKZ45K-U
- Video “Ensuring the environmental performance of an emerging bio-economy“ on WP2 activities at DTU: https://youtu.be/b_pb3uqE8pI
- Video “System change or Climate change” on WP2 activities at DTU:https://youtu.be/BTC8P94w6oc